Thursday, December 9, 2010

Living in the ghetto

We watched a video in class yesterday about different people who are growing up in poverty. For example it showed a young black boy who was homeless with his mom and siblings. This was hard to watch because it showed them living with their grandmother at one point, who said something along the lines of she would rather do crack instead of buy bread for her family. It is crazy how things are in different parts of the country. Another example was of a Mexican kid who had to live with a large family in a small building that had cockroaches crawling everywhere. The kid was a hard worker and came home from school to go directly to work everyday. I think that's good that he is helping his dad out but I couldn't help but notice something. They kept talking about how poor they were but I saw stuff in the background like stereos and electronic equipment and I wondered maybe they are staying poor because they spent some of their money on things that weren't essential. I hate to say that because I feel very bad for their situation but it was just an observation. This video really opened my eyes to the way that society is in parts of the country that I don't live in. I think that most people are very focused on their life and don't really see how others live their life. Sometimes it's good to take a step back and see how others are living their life, and maybe try to help them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment